January 5, 2007
DC Yin and Yang
No doubt about it. Yesterday was a beautiful, historic day here in Washington. Not only did the new government folk clog up my route home with their ridiculously heavy and unnecessary braking, but Nancy Pelosi was passed the gavel to serve as Speaker of the House (with a much more stylish choice of hairstyle than that last guy, I might add).

She'll be the first female in the role, the first woman to stand behind a president as he delivers the State of the Union Address to millions worldwide. As I watched last night's replay - introduced by moonlighting male Bain de Soleil model Brian Williams - I inhaled deeply, absorbing the full significance of the day. On January 4th, 2007, Ms. Pelosi indeed began to chip away at that marble ceiling. And that day signaled the dawn of the truth for which I have long waited: that women, not the feared ones, will indeed rule the world.

In other news, I find it amazing that while we can put men on the moon, women in the House, and cheese product in the middle of pretzels, idiocy still exists in our urban planning. Does it not strike anyone as ironic that while you cannot park with hazards blaring to hug a loved one in the kiss and fly departure lane at National Airport, there is an actual sitting/picnic/shoulder-borne-missile firing area at the end of one of the airport's major runways? Does that not make less sense than the closing of Polyesthers?

Where did I lose you?

Labels:



24 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

You expect these things to make sense? Sweetie, the world is still ruled by MEN. Enough said.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The security nazis at Dulles prefer that you not stop for any period of time when picking someone up unless they're righttherewaiting to get in your car.

"Yes, people waiting for people on the plane, circle forever on your $2.35 per gallon of gasoline. It's not costing us money."

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I think they would prefer you not stop the car at all to pick up/drop off passengers - they're going to start giving tips on how to hit the ground rolling pretty soon.

Blogger Rebecca said...

Maybe Nancy will smack Bush when he says silly things during the SotU. That would be entertaining.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, picking up anyone at National (BTW, I still can't make myself call it Reagan) is a nightmare. I have to agree with Megan on this one.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We here in Canada had a female actually act as Prime Minister.

Okay, Yes it was only for, like, thirty seconds, but Kim Campbell will always be remembered as the only woman ever to hold Canada's highest office.

Woooot! Canada!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lost me at the word historic.

PS: Kim Campbell was also a stupid head, which made her perfect to be our prime minister. Because most of our prime ministers are stupid heads.

Blogger ekeith said...

I also have to agree with jojo & megan....that sounds incredibly annoying...how did you find out about the picnic area? you were dared to have a picnic out there weren't you....

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the Nazi at the Williamsburg airport is enjoying my Aveda products right now.

DAMN THE MAN.

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

I love Brian Williams. He could so be a Bain de Soleil model-- nice call.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't rule the world.

We just get to pick up anything heavy, take out anything garbagey, and kill anything spidery.

It's must be because we WANT to do all those things not because you make us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Polyesthers. That's where I got lost...but I live in Texas so that might explain it.

Blogger kris said...

Those of us who have been to Polyesthers even feel lost . . . ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never really pondered the security issues that Gravelly Point presents. . .nor did I ever ponder picnicking there.
My friends and I just used to watch the planes land at night. ..kind of like that scene in Wayne's World.

Blogger Wicked H said...

I'd like to buy a vowel........

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the cheese. In the middle of the pretzels.

MmmmCombosmmmmmm.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the cheese. In the middle of the pretzels.

MmmmCombosmmmmmm.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jennifer. Cheese. Pretzels. Good.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, woman. THis changes many flight plans for me. Hmmmm.

And hooray for another year sans cyborgs. Unless you count Arnold.

Blogger egan said...

Pelosi speaks her mind and that's what I love about her. It's also what I like about you Kris.

Um, you raise a great point about the shoulder leading up to the airport. I've thought about that a lot since September 11th. It totally makes sense to me, your agrument, but the fact it's allowed doesn't.

Blogger JordanBaker said...

Hm. Maybe I won't be so quick to sass the airport employees at National next time.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is definitely a great, historic day. I completely agree. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah girls! I would totally love the world to be run by women. That would solve a lot of the fuckups that seem to repeat on a constant loop. Would I still be able to make more money for doing the same work as my female co-workers though?

Blogger Unknown said...

You make me remember how amazing it was to live in DC. Then I cry because now I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

UCK

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer