December 18, 2006
Putting Your Code Where Your Mouth Is ** NOW WITH ACTUAL WORKING LINKS (woot!)
A few of us have been griping (I know that’s a surprise) for some time about feeling underrepresented in the Blogosphere. There are organizations for female bloggers, parent bloggers, foodies, and politicos, but those of us who write about, well . . . us, are just sort of floating around without anchor. Think about it: if you were to categorize my blog, where would you shelve it? Humor? (we all know I’m only funny on third Tuesdays.) Relationships? (My closest are with my cats, BUT I DON’T KNIT THEM BOOTIES YET SO I’M STILL OKAY, DAMMIT!) These feelings came to a head when we attended BlogHer this year, and found ourselves answering the question, “what do you blog about?” with a hung head, a tail between our collective legs and a stutter . . . although not made to feel this way, somehow writing about the intricacies of one’s life and foibles and neuroses suddenly seemed self involved and unworthy of the title of Blogger when there were so many important things to write about (read: Gaza! Racism! THE CHILDREN!)

We started to feel as if, despite our numbers, we were underrepresented and underexposed and needed a network to find others like us, a forum that blogroll clicking alone wasn’t – and still isn’t – affording us.

So Stacy, clearly the only person in my life who majored in Follow Through in college (with a minor in General Motivation), took this discussion and ran with it. And the results of her spearheading this gorgeous effort are beautiful.

Meet Indie Bloggers, a site for those of us who write personal/life/general blogs that don’t fit into any particular niche. This site is gender neutral, whatever that means, but I’m pretty sure that translates into both Barbie and Ken being welcome and invited to post. We don’t care if you are already published or if this is your first time on the Interwebs. We only care that you have something to say, something interesting or inventive or clever to share with a larger network than you may regularly reach with your own site (well, those of us that don’t get 5000 or even 500 hits a day.)

Take a look around. Leave some feedback here. We’d love to hear your thoughts on the idea, your interest in participating, and your thoughts on my most recent choice of chunky highlights rather than those little wimpy stripy ones (I just thought it might brighten my face for the winter . . .)

Won't you join us? My first post is here, and more information can be found here.

Kris, Stacy and Heather

Labels:



31 Comments:

Blogger Wicked H said...

What an excellent idea, great job!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, I checked out the site and it's excellent!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah. you made that site? Excellent is right because I don't 500 hits a day (not too worried about it) and definately don't fit into some nice little niche (like dating or sports or whatever)

So yay! I plan to join right up this afternoon

THanks for the site

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!

I just have one question...where are the rice krispie treats??

Blogger kris said...

FOILED AGAIN! I clearly didn't take that post down quickly enough . . . ;)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nifty idea. I don't fit in anywhere, so that sounds spectacular.

And don't ever knit booties for your cats. They don't like booties or those little tshirts. Not that I'd know from experience or anything.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's definitely a great idea!

Even more forums for Mama - how could we not likey?

Blogger kris said...

This is for all of us, silly! Sign up!

Or the dog gets it . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, cool. I just blog about my little life and the things I observe, so I definitely like this idea. And I prefer the term "indie" to "personal" when it comes to blogs.

Anyhoo...the links you included give me a 404 in the middle column of the page. But I'll be checking out the site for sure!

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...

How cool are you?

Blogger Scarlet Hip said...
Blogger Phain said...

oh i am SO in...

Blogger kris said...

Have you guys signed up yet? I'm waiting . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in! Now I just need to figure out what the heck to do next! Like actually maybe WRITE something. What's your policy on photo-only posts? :)

Blogger kris said...

Yay! Welcome j!

Oh crap. A policy I didn't cover in my two paragraph rule post?!? ;) (laughs to self and considers drinking even though Mondays are usually off nights.) Hmmm . . .

We're definitely still getting our bearings, so we've yet to talk about photo-only posts, but given that the Overlord of the site is a photographer herself, I'm guessing she might be partial to it! ;) Let me check with the gals and get back to you. So glad you signed up.

Blogger Sizzle said...

you are awesome and this idea rocks! i want in. :)

Blogger egan said...

Boys are allowed eh? Hmmm... I like the look of the site. Can we hire Amanda Congdon?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice.
Really, when you think about it, anything you choose to write is important.

Blogger kris said...

Yay! I agree, Jorge, with the exception of the stuff of mine that is crap and I take down.

(wuh)

I can't believe everyone is being so quiet about this. What are your thoughts, party people? Come on, mama's got some wine in exchange for you talkie . . .

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading the Indie Blogger pimpage! It's a great site. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soo loving this! I just read some really great blogs by bloggers that I would have never known about if not for you and Indie Blogger.

ROCK ON!

Blogger bandick said...

I've sprained my clicking finger trying to join. I'm getting a big nothing when I click "send".

Help, I do so want to play!

Blogger Maddie said...
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bandick, the same thing happened to me. I just sent my info via the comments page and then switched to a different browser. Badda boom,badda bing...instant access!

Blogger kris said...

NO MATTER WHAT YOU HEAR, I didn't try to block you from joining the site.



*crickets*


I've alerted tech guru and natural blonde Stacy about the problems. Let's see if she comes through for once.



*tree frogs*

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She came through and my humble blog is now listed with the greats!

BTW, I have spent my entire day reading the blogs on the site and once again, I have to say, GREAT IDEA. ROCK ON!

Blogger bandick said...

I'm in baby!

And here are where my techie shortcomings become apparent.

What is the business about cross posting? Is that when I want to publish something on indie that I've also published on bandick?

Er, how do I do that? You young'ins point me in the right direction, eh?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I've alerted tech guru and natural blonde Stacy about the problems. Let's see if she comes through for once."

Hey. ASSHAT. I'm RIGHT HERE, you know. I'm never far; this is like trying to talk behind your shadow's back.

Only I'm SO NOT YOUR SHADOW ANYMORE. I'm telling mom.

Wuh?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think y'all are rad, and it's such! an awesome idea, and I feel quite honored to be a part of the Indie. / end my two cents. Or, well, really, this is just the beginning then, isn't it?
* wrings hands ominously *

; )

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice work, ladies!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm equally interested and confused by this enterprise. And impressed. Also equally. I am 50% interested, 50% confused, 50% impressed. This one needs some thinking, and thinking don't come easy around these parts.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer