December 31, 2006
The sky is a little pink over my city tonight (Or, Happy New Year, friends)
I don't know where to begin. So I'm not going to.

There will be no 2006 recap. No hashing out the good and the bad. This year has been - well, it has been everything. And those of you who come here every day know just how it's been, and those who touch me in the real world know even more of how it has been, and those of you who are scratching your heads have twelve months of archived bliss to keep you busy after the ball drops and the hangovers pass.

On a related note - and I do promise that this is related, at least for me - the powers that be hung DC and American flags along the city's bridges this weekend, likely for the arrival of Ford's body. I care not the reason. They are simple and welcoming, in pairs of three, uncurling with the help of the cool wind that swirls up over the Potomac. Dozens of them waved at me as I drove home tonight at dusk. One of them was caught on something unseen, unable to unfurl completely given the unknown obstruction. I was transfixed. It seemed to struggle to get loose, wanting to whirl freely in the wind with the others.

The moral of this story? It surely must suck to be that much of a p*ssy of a flag. (Now you know better . . .)

I simply cannot wait to wake up tomorrow. A gorgeous, kick ass - effervescent! - 2007 awaits us.


26 Comments:

Blogger Heather B. said...

Wouldn't be fun if I were home tonight and we were imbibing on some delicious wine from the corner store? ahhh to dream.

Miss you loads. Have a wonderful evening.

Blogger kris said...

Kimmy and I are missing you already, HB. Have a great time - can't wait to see you when you finally come back. You've been gone - what, 8 or 9 weeks now? ;) xoxo.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Kris. May 2007 be all you hope it will.

Blogger Megan said...

Happy New Year, Kris. I think you're right; 2007 will be a gorgeous, kick-ass year for all of us who got kicked in the ass in 2006.

You'll untangle yourself, I know this. xo

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Kris. I think we should make a resolution to partake in molto vino in the actual presence of one another in 2007...yeah, baby.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Next year is going to rule, dammit...or else.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's better not to go into details. I hope you have a most effervescent 2007. :)

Blogger Washington Cube said...

2006 sucked so much I can't wait for it to end. 2007 has GOT to be better. Have a good one.

Blogger Momcani said...

Kris! I can't say exactly how I found you, but I'm so glad I did. I have enjoyed every read, I look forward to 2007 with you. You're awesome, girl!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Mama!

You know where we are...

:)

Lots of love!

J & Mrs. J

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Kris! And the kitties too :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a gorgeous NY, Kris!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, Kris! I hope to read more on your bliss, your adventures and your thoughts in 2007.

Blogger missbhavens said...

Effervescent! Hell yeah!That is EXACTLY how I plan on describing the coming year to anyone who asks (and, jeez, people keep asking!

Right on, Kris!

Happy New Year to you! Cheers!
(I'm "cheers"-ing with the sparkling cider I've been reduced to drinking because I'm at work...I'll hit the real bubbly on Tuesday night when it's on sale)

Blogger Carrie M said...

happy new year, darlin'! i hope to meet you in 2007!

Blogger Sizzle said...

it's a bubblilicious new year baby! wee!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have been able to wait to wake up either....but I was woken up by hungover-ness. :)

Happy New Year to you too!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And we all deserve an effervescenty New Year.

And let's just say: suspecially you!... Though we all do.

H N Y!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god. This is the first time I've come to your blog and because you called a flag a pussy I am fully hooked!

Love it!

Blogger kris said...

Kat = clearly not my mother. ;)

Blogger bandick said...

Happy, Happy, Krisser!

You snow hating curmudgeon...

Blogger Jack Steiner said...

A gorgeous, kick ass - effervescent! - 2007 awaits us.

Amen.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for 2007! And flags that unfurl in the wind! And flags that can't quite get themselves all the way unfurled in the wind, thus they are left ashamed and belittled, sure the other flags are laughing at their pussy flag ass behind their back even though to their flag face the other flags are saying it's okay: it happens to everyone sometimes.

Unlike everyone else in the country, I had to work on Ford's Funeral Day. Boo.

But Happy New Year! And congratulations on your effervescence. It's always good to start a new year bubbly.

Blogger Kim said...

"It's 2007."

Kiss my ass.

Blogger Jess Riley said...

Hey, my favorite word is "effervescent."

Happy New Year!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer