April 29, 2007
April 29th
I used to laugh at the Today show slogan. What a Difference Today Makes. Like my vote for the President, twice inconsequential, a single day in the life of any of us doesn't really seem to make that much of a difference, truthfully. It hasn't for me, and I have spent quite a few of them drinking wine, having exhorbitant highlights foiled to crispness, fighting with my mother, and braiding my cats' hair.

I will allow my skeptical self the acknowledgement that a 365 of them, bundled tightly together so none stands out from another, can represent an unbelievable hunk of change. Not even a little bit, like those morsels of brownie that the Jello people tout as having the same calories as a vat of their gelatin grossness, but a big bit - a colossal bit - like those bricks of Rice Krispie Treat that the Noodle Company pimps at their checkouts. Big like bull. Like this weekend.

Because this weekend was a whirl of friends, some more distant and some discovered through this very outlet. Of laughter and too much beer and a double header for a new softball team. Rolling my sleeves up so I could feel the heat and breaking out the SPF 55 long past the point of no burn. Laughing the real thing, not of the strained variety, with my mother, with whom I have a new and flourishing relationship. Watching the sun glisten off a 8.5 x 11 recipe card that prompted me to purchase lentils for the first time. The cats are healthy, one continuously shedding on the couch arm and the other strategizing just how he will torment me into his next meal. I have a road of plans to look forward to and a full TiVo to consume on the off days. I have not a place in the world I need to be. I am just here. And I am happy.

Life is good, party people. Today is good.


17 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Amen, sister!

Those Rice Krispy bricks are brutal. Takes some serious dedication to the Krispy Kause to make it through one of those badboys.

Today IS good.

Blogger Alison said...

It feels good, doesn't it?

Blogger Mair said...

I'm glad you're here, and happy.

Blogger kris said...

Thanks to all of you guys. Malia, I sure wish you were around to share some sunshine and margaritas with.

Blogger Jessica said...

Lovely post...I'm there too today.

Blogger Bridget Jones said...

What a great post--you made me smile and I needed that tonight!

Blogger playfulinnc said...

Yeah, and the gorgeous weather didn't hurt...what a beautiful day!

Blogger Jorge said...

If I had eight thumbs, they would all be up, my dear.

All of them.

J

Blogger Sizzle said...

that's awesome. :)

i want to get to that place too.

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Yay! Yesterday was a good day (and so was Friday!). I sense more good days to come.

Blogger megabrooke said...

your good mood just wore off on me. and i so needed that.

Blogger Unknown said...

With the green bulbs on the trees, the birds waking us up, and a cool chicky in her happy place how could this NOT be a great day?

Enjoy springs in your steps!

Blogger Jen said...

Wow...I had a day like that yesterday too. Isn't that weird?Complete and total peace and contentment with life, and my place in it. I was almost overcome with joy and felt so lucky, as vomit-inducing as that sounds. I have a feeling we're very kindred spirits! I'm more of a vodka/dog gal, but the important thing is we like our cocktails and love our animals! Cheers!

Blogger Amaya said...

What a great perspective!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog and read Sunday's post. Oddly, I had a Sunday like that too..
http://perpetualcalendar.blogspot.com/2007/04/its-gonna-be-nice-day.html
I'm already formulating conspiracy theories.

Blogger Matt DeBenedictis said...

wonderfully put. Someone once said to me in regards to tivo "Now i have so much tv to catch up on. This was supposed to free up my time but that's okay."

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contentment is such a good feeling, isn't it?

Glad you're feeling good. :)

Now, how can I convince you go to an HH? ;]

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer