February 20, 2008
Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday was a ridiculously perfect day, one of the ones that makes you suspect there might be a deity other than Oprah at work in the world. In DC, the temps reached into the 70s, launching pasty folk out into the sunshine. With their pasty kids, of course. I cared not. Monday was the kind of pseudo-spring day that makes me want to throw my panties in the air with some Mary Tyler Moore zest.

I did none of the things I promised myself I’d do – the hardwoods are missing their Murphy’s and I’m pretty sure the cats’ nails have started to curl into corkscrews – but both will wait.

The day began as it always does, with a soda of gargantuan size that makes tourists stop to take photos. I sat in a café with its doors open, writing long overdue letters. I love to write letters. There’s something about getting a handwritten communication that makes your heart rise, makes you run to the apartment a little faster with anticipation. I have great respect for folks who take a moment to make you feel good with the handwritten word.* Better yet if they can do it on unique stationery, the kind that keeps me on Etsy.com more hours than I should wishing I had either a million dollars or an ounce of design talent.

Lunch was eaten outside, and when I discovered a market with pesto pasta salads and freshly-baked breads, I carefully reattached my head to its proper place. I sat in the sunshine and ate ham and brie on a baguette with yet another Diet Coke, all the while making up stories about those around me. The two women lunching to my right who had just enough tension in their conversation to make me think there’s an academic or romantic competition between them. The man sitting by himself facing the sun with his eyes closed, cramming for an exam or trying to avoid it altogether? The girl in the sundress, immaculately coiffed, out for the day and quite possibly a perfect run-in with him.

The rest of the day was as it should have been. Checking out a new card store and finding the perfect gift for a friend’s upcoming birthday. Buying cigarettes after I tried to shrug off a man's request for coins with the “I’ve only got a credit card on me” response. Touche, persistent homeless guy. Buying ingredients to make a spicy pork tenderloin and others to whip up a curry. And drinking simply glorious amounts of fountain soda Diet Coke.

Of course the hardwoods are sporting a strange film and the cats are starting to walk on their knuckles, but there’s always the weekend for that.



* This does not count the time someone FedExed me hate mail in the pre-Internet years. Carry on.


24 Comments:

Blogger Gwen said...

Sounds delicious, the whole day.

Because I went to boarding school and because we were required to write letters home every single Sunday, I a)know the pleasure of cool stationery, but b)have lost the love for handwritten letters. Except the kind I receive, naturally.

Blogger jessabean said...

I just agreed to be "real" pen pals with a blogger friend...I can't wait for the handwritten correspondence to begin. And dammit, now you've given me another reason to be on Etsy 24/7.

Blogger Nic (NotPerfect) said...

The day sounds lovely.

And since you posted about hatemail and stationery in the same post, I must share my newest favorite etsy store. Not quite as good as Golden Girls finger puppets, but close.

Blogger Maddie said...

Sounds pretty much like my day except I spent it in a freezing cold, darkened office. So on second thought, I'm a little jealous.

I love getting handwritten letters. They're the best!

Blogger Sizzle said...

70 degrees? I don't recall what that is like. It's been so cold and gray here. It feels endless!

Someone fed ex'd you hate mail? They really must have felt strongly about whatever it was and they are CRAZY.

Blogger Alexandra said...

Oh! It's been a while since I wrote letters. Now I want to go buy wonderful stationery and beautiful pens and write! I may even do it too!

Blogger Mia said...

Fountain soda is the BEST... specially with lots of ice.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love DC in the spring...it is just perfect. i love the outdoor markets the parks and people watching outside...

i miss it all. of course then it gets to be summer and suddenly it's humid and kind of smelly and it's impossible have good hair.

Blogger Eric said...

If you break up with someone via handwritten letter is it nicer than email? Because of the stationary and all.

Also I distinctly remember riding home from in the rain on Monday. Which is as bad as it sounds. I know the weather gets a little more treacherous the farther north you travel, but do DC and Baltimore really have a climate that different?

Blogger kris said...

E, it rained after I got home from my day of gloriousness, so my guess is we were hit at about the same time. :)

Blogger Unknown said...

What a loverly day, doll.

Imagine if you had been in Paris, en place de DC... Cela aurait rendu la journée encore plus meilleur, n'est pas?

Blogger Lawyer Mama said...

Sounds wonderful!

And the next time I send hate mail, I'll be sure to do it by FedEx. Sounds like it makes more of an impact!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! You had me at Brie and bread.

Someone sent hate mail via FedEx? Should only be reserved for telegrams.

Blogger Meg said...

I love sending and receiving real letters. It is like Christmas seeing that envelope in the mailbox! And hatemail via FedEx?! Wow. I hope they didn't pay for early AM next day delivery!

Blogger MereCat said...

I love fountain diet coke AND cigarettes. Both are wonderful.

Blogger Heather B. said...

God, you make me miss it there. And painfully so.

Blogger Janet said...

Monday was amazing. And now, freezing. Bite me, Mother Nature.

I imagine people love love getting your handwritten letters.

Blogger Maiden said...

i'm starting to feel as though monday just facilitated a deep winter depression for the rest of the week.

Blogger Alison said...

Your first paragraph made me laugh. Thanks. Glad it was such a lovely day for you!

That day sounds perfect. Makes me wish I lived in the city where I could wander like that rather than in the suburbs where I have to motor everywhere.

Blogger deeeeeetroit said...

Monday was a sad day for me. My favorite cufflink store was closed in observance of the aforementioned holiday :(

Blogger MB said...

I want to know more about the hate mail story!

Blogger Circe said...

I cannot believe someone Fedexed you hate mail. Overnight Priority? The lengths some people will go to...

Your day sounded perfectly lovely and I would like to trade this 26 degree, dreary, frozen rain-covered day in for one like yours if you please. :)

Blogger Unknown said...

sigh... I had to spend from 6am to 10pm working. I have off tomarrow, which is Forecasted for a winter storm- Peraps I'll sit in and watch the snow.

Diet Coke,Diet Cherry Pepsi,Ginger Ale-all must be consumed gleefully

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer