February 12, 2008
contentment
Today is a good day. And I’m knocking on wood and all things particle board to keep it that way.

My sister has agreed to go on a trip with me, one originating in Venice in the fall, and I thought my head would explode when she accepted my vacation proposal. My enthusiasm for the long term is closely followed by complete thrill for my date for Valentine’s Day, a woman with whom I will compete for the most stellar Missed Connections post in the history of Craigslist (you: blonde, chin covered in turkey leg grease and mead; me: noble knight smelling faintly of horse manure; us: fortuitous meeting by the stocks after supper?)

Cricket took her asthma medication without writing her gang sign in my skin. The writers’ strike may end today, giving me something other than PBS and sanding my foot skin to entertain me. 7-11 had extra Super Big Gulp cups hidden in the cabinet, and the clerk retrieved one for me with a smile and without a comment about caffeine addiction. My apartment is incredibly toasty despite the bitter cold. I am down three pounds. I am not Amy Winehouse.

There’s always someone to ruin a beautiful day like this one and today is no exception. This is the person we all know, the one who waits at the side of the stage stroking his handlebar moustache while plotting a puppy’s drowning. If the opportunity presents itself to me again today, which it will undoubtedly do given that I haven’t felt this positive since Noah built his ark, I will smile, threaten to pull his eyelashes out one by painful one, and remind him in a whisper that one cannot smell even the faintest traces of cyanide in Diet Coke.


17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We always wait for the Other shoe to drop. When people fuck up my day, I make sure to remember-even writing it down. When the time or chance comes along to return the favor...

Blogger Diane Mandy said...

I'm glad your having a good day. I hope ti stays so positive. ANd if he does show up, kick him where it counts, ok?

Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, life IS good if you aren't Amy Winehouse - even though, she DID win a Grammy.

Let's pick another person. Britney Spears. There, that's better.

Blogger Snakebite said...

Venice? Cool! Where else???

Blogger kris said...

Italy and Greece! I could EXPLODE. This is better than Diet Dr. Pepper.

Blogger Mia said...

don't worry.. you're good to go. The evil mustache puller is over here with me today. Enjoy the freedom while you can :)

Blogger Sizzle said...

i don't even think amy winehouse wants to be amy winehouse.

Blogger Amie Adams said...

Better than Diet Dr. Pepper??

Let's not get crazy now.

Blogger Kim said...

I'm so signing you up to joust. It's going to be awesome.

Blogger Zandria said...

Sounds like a very nice Valentine's Day to me. :)

Blogger Gwen said...

Europe in the fall! Surely that's enough to ignore the mustachioed one ... at least for the next few hours.

Blogger JordanBaker said...

But wait--if you go to Medieval Times for Valentine's Day, will you be ready to go again two weeks later for my birthday?

Blogger Heather said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Have a fantastic time!

you can't smell cyanide in diet coke? hmmm...

Blogger Gunfighter said...

Italy & Greece, eh? Good times, good times.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turned down a trip to Venice over Valentine's Day... With my mother.
I hope you have an amazing time.

Blogger ETK said...

Ah - Italy & Greece - I love them both! A little more partial to Greece though. I hope you will not spend too much time in Athens (a day or two max) and quickly get yourself to an island. Santorini is absolutely the most beautiful place on earth. If you make it there, I recommend dining at Selene. Enjoy!

Blogger KlevaBich said...

Oh fine, you finally start dating women, but do you call ME? Noooooo.

Sigh. Happy Valentine's Day anyway!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer