July 21, 2007
drumstick, please
Today was the end of the road. The last time for a while that I'll have to walk into the hospital and have the doctors know who I am on sight. I won't knock on wood, but I will say that I'm going to enjoy every solitary moment that is the day of Bug's last visit to the surgeon for this particular episode. I will celebrate that this morning he had each and every suture removed from that seven-inch incision and that his surgeon said all looked good. She was pleased that he's walking well. Hopping well.

What she doesn't know is that he's doing ridiculously well. I'm not going to tell her. It's like a tiny present that Bug and I are keeping to ourselves. Two short weeks ago, that cat looked at me from his spot under the kitchen counter, unable to lift his head from the cold floor tile. I've never felt an ache like I did when he looked at me with those glassy eyes. Love and guilt are a tugging combination. Love and joy are simply beautiful, and that's all I feel when the little man makes his way about the house like a fourth-grader on cotton candy overload, jumping on windowsills and onto the bed and over the back of my sleeping weekend visitor. He's resumed guarding the door while I shower. Two nights ago he kicked Cricket in the head several times, and I allowed the tussle to go on longer than I should, simply because I took such pleasure in seeing him back to normal. As normal as life can be without one of your legs.

I attempted to snap some photos of the critter and those meek efforts are shared below. As you can see, he remains able to outrun my camera in most cases.




The white coats well me that now we wait to see if the cancer resurfaces on some other part of his little body. It almost makes me laugh. I will wait for the man I'm to spend my life with, for Spring to come to my beautiful city, for a time when pizza is zero points on Weight Watchers. We will not be waiting for this.



30 Comments:

Blogger Jorge said...

Does he still hate the camera like he used to?

He seems to be posing in that last picture, in which case I simply MUST come and do his portraits. :)

I mean, how can I resist!

I'm so happy for you and B.McGee.

hugs,
J

Blogger playfulinnc said...

Little presents are all that mommas need, right? yippee for kitty!

Blogger WanderingGirl said...

hip-hip, wait, only one hip, HOORAY FOR BUG!!!!!!!

Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Yay Bug! They're right, he IS posing in that last one. Must be feeling great, and that means his mom is too.

Hooray for both of you!!

Who's the weekend visitor, hmmmm?

Blogger takinchances said...

This post made my heart so happy for you and BUG!!!

Gotta go squeeze my own babies now.

Blogger Bob said...

What's happened to your kitty brings new meaning to the phrase, "taking it in the ass". Poor baby!

Blogger Rebecca said...

He looks like he's going to kill you for taking his picture. All "How dare you!" Which I think is entirely a great sign. Besides the massive running around and whatnot. I'm glad he's doing so well!

Blogger Beth said...

Aw. Sweet. I have a friend whose dog injured its spine and can't use his back legs anymore. They got him fitted for a little wheelie cart. I'm amazed at how resilient animals are.

Blogger KB said...

So glad to hear that he is doing so well. He's so freaking adorable too. :)

This post made my day that much brighter <3

Blogger Heather said...

Go Bug! I'm so happy for you both!

Blogger Detail Medic said...

I think he's just shy... I mean, HA! They shaved the kitty!

I think we could all take some lessons from animals. They seem to move right on - no feeling sorry for themselves. Way to go BUG!

Blogger E :) said...

Bug waits for no cancer! Go kitty!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bug is one tough little dude. And that face, so cute!

Blogger Ulysses said...

The vet missed the point with my buddy Logan too: like it's the problems we're supposed to look forward to. He seems to know that it's really trying to coax the birds to come over to the window.

Blogger t2ed said...

Man, your cat is so fast that he's just a blur. They must have given him some bionics when they did that surgery.

I can't wait till he starts fighting crime and jumping over chain link fences in slow motion.

Blogger Wicked H said...

Yay! Bug looks great. Tonight I toast you and bug, no more recurrance of anything bad. Nope, not going to happen.

Blogger Beth said...

omg, what a precious kitty! Look at those puppy dog (wait, kitty kat?) eyes! Glad to hear that he's hopping well and fighting with Cricket and all around doing well! Go Bug!

Blogger Heather B. said...

Hey there, pretty lady. Can I buy you a drink? :-*

Blogger ETK said...

Aww! That brought tears to my eyes (of joy) - so happy for you and Bug!!!

Blogger Tracy Lynn said...

Go Bugster, it's your birthday, it's your birthday, go Bugster.
*doing happy dance, indiscreetly*

Blogger Danielle said...

i'm so happy for you and bug! yay! such a sweet face. must have been such a scary ordeal.

Blogger HAR said...

Relief. It must feel good after going through all of this with your Bug.
So happy to see he is doing so well. What a brave little Bug.

Blogger JordanBaker said...

Bug's last picture is saying "put down the camera or I will whup your ass. . .just like I whupped cancer."

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so glad bug is doing well. ^_^
this has brightened my day to know this. :)

btw. bug = insanely adorable! :D

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Right on, Buggles. Glad to see that he is doing so well!

Blogger Single Jens said...

So good to see Bug rollin' around on 3 legs! Good for him and you:-)

Now, onto more important things, I was wondering why Peter showed up under my bed the other night. Now I understand. - SJ

Blogger Freewheel said...

Poor Bug! Keep giving him lots of love!

Blogger Carrie M said...

yay for bug!! So happy to hear he's doing so well. hugs to you and the kitties. :-)

Blogger Veronica said...

He looks great!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer