June 5, 2007
early summer night’s dream
My San Diego vacation partner has yet to upload our trip photos, so there is nothing to see here. In their place, I shall tell an enthralling story.

I stepped out last night for detergent, Laughing Cow wedges, and Diet Coke, all staples of the happy thirtysomething existence. It was a nice night, the warm and sticky kind that wraps you in a wet blanket. Like floating in the Gulf of Mexico in August. Well, I like it.

As I pulled the Sentra into the only spot my kind neighbors left within a six-mile radius, I noted a surefire sign of summer hovering above the dash: the firefly. First only one, then two, tiny wings and big, bright bulbs. I followed the second firefly across the street and nearly squeed with glee as it paused on a blade of overgrown grass. Summer, if not already here, was well on its way.

I wanted so much to share my sweet find so I cupped the firefly in my hands and brought it into the apartment. Cricket moved not from her kitchen table perch, but my firstborn, Bug, was immediately drawn to it. He followed the insect as it landed on the window screen; his pupils grew as the firefly flashed its light off and on. Off and on. Complete fixation. I smiled as I turned to unload my goodies and positioned myself with no room to act. My boy swatted the lovely bug out of thin air, trapping it on the marble windowsill underneath a brawny paw. And then he slowly moved his oversized mitt to reveal his twitching catch.

And then he ate it.

Oh well. None of that really happened. But I did think about it happening when I saw a firefly and contemplated domesticating it. And again, there were no pictures to see here, so I hope you at least enjoyed the made up story as much as Bug enjoyed his pseudo time out. Happy Tuesday.


27 Comments:

Blogger Jorge said...

It's a good thing you don't write for Disney.

That's all I'm saying about that. ;)

Blogger Jo said...

Seeing firefly's for the first time in Summer makes me surprisingly happy. It's like the first snow. Brings up lots of good childhood memories.

Blogger sween said...

Now I want to know what firefly tastes like.

Blogger Whiskeymarie said...

Was it wrong that I was rooting for the cat, and not the firefly?

I bet fireflies are crunchy and a smidge spicy. Kind of like chili cornnuts.

Blogger Freewheel said...

Made-up stories are the best.

Blogger Maybe Me said...

Loved the pre- and post-vacation stories... Looking forward to tha vacation pictures and anecdotes!

Blogger Keith said...

The magic of nature. It was like I was there.

Hope coming back to real life hasn't been such a shock. :)

Blogger kris said...

SBJ it HAS been a shock to the system. Not sure when I'll be back to "normal" again.

I think fireflies might taste like chicken. With a side of broken glass. Crispy like. I bet they are also good with Nutella on them. As most things are.

Blogger Sandra said...

Growing up, our dog used to jump around in the backyard, mouth opening and closing, trying to eat fireflies. Perhaps she was related in some way to your cat?

Blogger Emily said...

You are nothing if not imaginitive :)

And now I'm a little sad... I've never seen a firefly. Do we just not have them on the west coast?

And... how fun that you were in San Diego! I live about 45 min north in Orange County. ...yah, thanks for stopping in to say hi :)

Blogger M@ said...

Of course you drive a Sentra! It makes perfect sense.

Blogger kris said...
Blogger Gwen said...

Nutella. Yum. I blame all my tenth grad blubber on Nutella.

Can you please write a story about that (the Nutella, not my sophomore fat)? Cats as characters are optional.

Blogger Sprezzatura said...

Wine and monster-sized Nutella = justification for my Costco membership.

Blogger Single Jens said...

I miss "lightening bugs"....that's what we called them when I was growing up in the midwest....

- Single Jen

Blogger MappyB said...

I love fireflies, and Laughing Cow wedges. I just noticed that you haven't been to Breaux Vineyard yet this year - they have a Cajun Festival coming up (this month I think). I spent Memorial Day weekend there visiting family. Mmmm wine...

Blogger Melissavina said...

You had me going you big liar.
Hook line and sinker.

Blogger kris said...

mwaaaaahaaaaaahaaaaaaha.

i knew i'd get at least one of you. ;)

breaux is on the list of spots to visit, mappy! i missed the cajun fest last year so i might just have to indulge in 2007. are you going?

and we called them lightning bugs too. funny that i lost that for the post. temporary lapse, i guess. cheers, all.

Blogger Diva's Thoughts said...

Seeing how scared I am now of bugs and animals and everything non-human....I am surprised that My best friend and I when we were kids us to actually catch fireflys regulary. Now there isn't enough money printed that could make me touch one of those things now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lightning bugs here also...

And the made up story?? I thought I was reading a story from my childhood for a second there.

Blogger Unknown said...

I felt lost and sullen whenBug ate the bug... But then it didn't happen (yay!), so we could all live happily ever after... The end!

When we were younger, the boys used to to ridiculous things (actually, now that I'm older, I have not found that they do less ridiculous things... but only ridiculous things with great risk. Sigh. Boys.), including smearing fireflies on their dark t-shirts at night to try and "glow in the dark." Looked cool at first... and then they walked into the light, and you saw them for what they really were: silly boys with bug guts smeared on their shirts.

Eeeeew.

Blogger Melissavina said...

Did you even go out for diet coke and cheese wedges or was that part made up too? You probably drink Diet Pepsi and eat string cheese.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lighting bugs...definitely a Midwest theme. I hail from the Sho-Me state and can tell you for a FACT that catching those little suckers is fun. We would throw them in an old mason jar with holes poked in the lid and pretend we had a jar full of fairies.

However, they cause your hands to stink something fierce! I'm talking a pungent kind of stink that seeps into your skin and takes the same measures as de-skunkifying to get rid of! I'm pretty sure that in NO world I've ever made up, Fairies made that kind of smell. Ewwwww..!!!

Blogger Kim said...

I think describing this story as "enthralling" was the biggest lie of all.

Blogger justacoolcat said...

We haven't seen fireflys here yet. Though we did follow them around a few months ago in Jamaica.

Blogger Rice said...

Love this blog. Very original.
Actually, you would fit right in at Disney. They usually kill of a beloved character or two.

Blogger becky s said...

wait. you were in san diego? and you didn't tell me?! oh, kris. i'm so very hurt. *pouts*

did you mention it? i totally must've missed that.

well, i'll still see you at blogher, but i'm not sure i can look you in the eye now, without remembering this snub. *sigh*

(is the guilt trip working yet? heh.)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer