August 26, 2005
Act I: They Meet
SHE SAYS:

Contrary to my generally introverted tendencies, I remember really wanting to go. I must have, because at that time, I was a staunch Virginian and traveling into the city was akin to deep space exploration. From their pictures, the alumni club looked as if they knew how to have a good time. The Best Friend - parties personified - agreed to accompany me into the drunk garnet and gold unknown.

The sports bar was packed and hot. And we were late. My best friend and I commandeered empty chairs from cringing adult diners and sat down next to a table of what for all intents and purposes appeared to be frat boys. Two buckets of mini-Coronas later, I recall hunger kicking in, as well as my extroverted side, and I hit the drunkest up for some of his food.

Drunk likes as drunk is, so it was natural that the Best Friend and Robert Downey, Jr./Hard Living were fast friends. A quiet, terribly game-engaged man sat next to him, cute as pie in a garnet baseball cap. I started talking to New Guy.

Where did you live in Tallahassee? When were you last at school? What do you do now?

Crickets.

He answered politely, but hardly took his eyes off of the game. I had seen these signals before. New Guy and I were going to be great friends.

I moved closer to him as the seating became more accessible, and I became bolder. Best Friend and Hard Living discovered they were both into beer and production, so New Guy and I had lots of time on our hands. We talked. He got my pop culture references and had a sense of humor to strive for. Although shy with me, he was en fuego with his friends. I liked him. And I remember trying to fan my sweat rings in the bathroom and restrict my use of the F-bomb so not all secrets would be told the first night.

The 4th quarter ended. Still bold and even more tipsy, I kept talking. We should all get together sometime. Let me get your email address.

I didn't ask for his phone number, but he wrote it on the back off his business card anyway.

I had seen these signals before. We might just end up more than friends.

HE SAYS:

When Kris first walked into the bar I went into shock. I wanted to speak, but couldn't. My heart skipped a beat, then raced. I was hot, nauseated, nervous. I couldn't take my eyes off her. I knew from that moment, that if someone didn't tell her and her wasted sidekick to get down in front I would've thrown my beer at them. I've often wanted to hit Kris (and sometimes her violently drunk best friend) with a Corona, but never with such intensity. It was the first game of the college season for us, and to those of us that attended as undergrads, there is no greater day.

I sat with a large group at a front and center table. We secured this spot by arriving early and drinking heavily. Fitz had been drinking since Tuesday for various personal reasons. Kris and her best friend were late and the latter was more drunk than Fitz. The girls sat stage right on individual bar stools. I remember thinking they were loud and I remember looking at Kris and thinking there is one girl I would never date, and she would never date me. It seemed she had to be at the center of attention, and I couldn't want anything less.

As the game wore on our groups blended. Fitz and Kris' best friend shared a moment over some type of cheese dip. Kris would chat with the group but was seated next to a guy on another bar stool so I thought her spoken for. Both girls wandered the bar quite a bit. I focused on the game and mainlining Corona. Towards the end of the night, Kris said we should all hang out again, so I gave my email and made a joke that she would never call. She took this as an assault on her character and I had an email from her within 24 hours. My reply was a compilation of roughly 27 different drafts edited for style, content, and "breezy-ness" by my brother and his girlfriend.

A Redskin game, a preseason hockey game, a hurricane, a blown off concert invite, and her 30th birthday party were all that stood between me and our first date.

Labels:



27 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

You two are so freakin' cute :)

Blogger kris said...

We aren't so cute in person. That's why I didn't include a photo.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah...
The joys of...
Something...


Why are all first meetings so awkward.
I'll have to tell the story of how Tanya and I first went out, and went to s ahitty pub where the TV was RIGHT NEXT TO HER HEAD.

Stupid motion-tracking eyes....

Jorge

Blogger babyjewels said...

I love this story. Both points of view. Really good.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, when do Kris' best friend and the boyfriend's best fried get to share our accounts of when you met and the courting process?

Blogger begins with v said...

I find myself wanting to know more...where's the rest of the story...I'm guessing it will come later in another post?

Mr. Slade always teases me about the first time we met because I didn't notice him at all...but he claims that he noticed me.

When we met later, I fell for him on first sight not remembering having met him before--weird

Blogger Mel said...

Kris, seriously you need to post a photo. You're adorable, and I am sure he is to! Come on! Everybody's doin' it!

Anyone else here want to see a photo?

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't really care for memes (though I love Meme) but this one would be a funny pass around. He said/She saids about meeting. I'd tell mine if it didn't involve a felony.

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Ah, every good first meeting comes with some fun drunk sidekicks.

This is great-- love the he said- she said.

Blogger Christina said...

I love this!

My husband and I got together because we were drunk and made out on the dance floor at a bar. He would never write about it, either.

Blogger Dave said...

What's with wanting to whip a Corona at Mama's head? That's not cool. That's not buddies.

Blogger Sizzle said...

super cute. :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met my husband in a dive bar that neither one of us should have been at alone (major back story there). He sat down and I stared (we're not talking coy peeks here) at him until he spoke first "Do I know you?", my reply "You look familar". Hokey I know but it turned out later to be eerily true, including a missed meeting in a bar in Boise, Idaho where we discovered we stood side by side 5 years earlier....freaky.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was amazingly cool. I love the different Rashomon-type perspective thing between the two of you. It just goes to show that our POV can be completely off-base and not the real story.

Will anyone under 30 know the Ms. Pac-Man reference?

Blogger Mel said...

neil, yes, some of us 20-somethings get it!

Blogger kris said...

Mel, I don't want to post his picture yet. I'm afraid my boyfriend will see it and kick his ass.

Jorge, are first meetings so awkward by definition? Even in Canada?!?

BJ, Sizzle, thanks!

Slade, TP and Maria, I love first meeting stories with an extra element of intrigue. Clearly, the beau and I did not have that so I very much appreciate you bringing it to the post! :)

Mystery, I agree; my single drunk sidekick has been the spice of much of my life!

Anonymous, you can always tell your story. If I can read it first.

JJ, we love to hear your stories, felonies or just misdemeanors.

Dave, the beau would never hit me with a Corona. A Bud Light, maybe. I'm kidding! As anonymous and the Best Friend can attest, few more caring and cuddly creatures can be found on the planet. With the exception of pandas. Oh, and koalas. Maybe there are a few.

Blogger kris said...

Dammit, Neil! I didn't mean to forget you! I guess I'll just have to link you now . . .

I'm glad you enjoyed this. That is precisely why we wrote this initially; despite being at the very same event our recollections are so strikingly different. We also noted that, over time, we began to remember things as the other had told us he or she thought it happened . . .

Blogger SassyAssy said...

I liked He Said...typical guy...in love with the game.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kris,

First meetings are even more awkward in Canada.

I think this is due to the maple syrup content of the average person's blood up here...

J

Blogger Wicked H said...

Excellent. I love both sides of the story. Awkwardness and all.

Blogger Bobby said...

My first meeting with my baby was enhanced by the fact I had consumed way too much alcohol. Not exactly the best time to make a great impressions, but certainly less stressful on me at the time.

Love your writing, Kris.

Blogger katie's brain said...

This was awesome--realy fun to read.

Blogger katie's brain said...

Oh my God, I spelled "really" wrong.

I need coffee.

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Nice intro. Looking forward to reading what's next.

good blog... check mine !http://artistasdebuenosaires.blogspot.com/

Blogger ekeith said...

soo adorable, you continue to give me hope that one day i too will find happiness...you know it's true love when your drunken personalities don't turn each other off...

Blogger Modigliani said...

loved reading both sides of that! I agree with JJ -- it would be a fun post for others to try also! :)

Love your blog! :))

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer