May 4, 2008
Likeableus Boyfriendus
Every so often a friend picks a good one. He’s not a player. He doesn’t talk about his job ad nauseum with a puffed chest. He doesn’t hit on her friends when she’s in the bathroom. Every once in a while you like a friend’s new beau and want to pull her aside and tell her so, encourage her to hold onto him not because the single life is exhausting, what with all the giggles and hair coloring and leg shaving, but because he seems like a great guy, one of the last of his order who should be tagged and put on display to confirm the existence of his genus.

I met my friend E’s boyfriend on Friday night, as I arrived late to the Nats game, staving off a migraine with commemorative cups of soda and beer. I had the seat next to his, which would normally have me irritated, what with my hating the small talk and the human race and what not. But he was a talker. There was no pulling teeth, no wondering why this guy was ignoring her friends when he should be making even miniscule efforts to know the people important to her. He was funny, kind, and knew odd facts about players on both teams. I happen to love people who could take the series on Worthless Facts Jeopardy. Check.

But a girl knows the truth isn’t in the persona he puts on for the crowd, as evidenced by every bad apple we dumped to the disbelief of the masses. It’s not in the expensive clothes he wears or the people he makes sure you know he knows. It’s in the way he treats her. He treated her. They stole kisses when they thought the spinsters weren’t looking. They whispered to one another. He reached for her hand as they walked a few feet behind the rest of us and made sure she didn’t want for a beer or surprisingly hard soft pretzel at any time. And he introduced her to a friend, which any woman knows means they’ll be buying a king bed and Peapoding their groceries within the year. Check. Check. Check.

The cautious singleton in me wants to tell her to enjoy with limits, to savor each moment while keeping her heart tritely protected, but the romantic in me is clearly winning this thought wrestle. I’m excited to hear her stories about the possibility of an early move-in, about how she now knows what I meant years ago when talking about how the good guys treat you, about how they call when they say they will (and often before) and are proud to have you as their date at each and every wedding. She is over the moon that she found a keeper and has every right to be screaming it from the upper deck. And this spinster is simply thrilled by the confirmation that they’re not yet extinct.

Labels:



20 Comments:

Blogger MF said...

It was awfully nice of my mom to send you a check and say those nice things. Guess I should get her something for Mother's Day.

In all seriousness, it's really easy to be in love with "E". She is one of a kind and amazes me more and more every day.

Great to meet you, Friday. (We'll have to tip a few soon.

Blogger ramblin' girl said...

very good to know there are still "good ones" out there...

Blogger KB said...

I hate her and am so happy for her all at the same time :)

I was sick and couldn't go to the game on Friday, but I'm sorry the Nats lost. I'll be there next Friday if you're going! :)

Blogger Unknown said...

As a guy who ws single for a long time before having the relationship I've got now, I have always said that all things considered, it's better to get one guy (or girl) who really looks at, talks to and treats you special then every rich,good-looking,sweet-talking, buffed piece of trash out there.
Women don't want to admit this but they are the same as men in that respect: you can tell them anything you want, you just can't tell them much.

Would someone send some "good ones" to Florida? I promise to treat them better than I did the last 15...

Blogger KathyLikesPink said...

Wow. It's been a long time since I've been treated like that.

It does give one hope, though.

Blogger Ryane said...

That is awesome. It is good to know that there are still some men who actually say what they want, want what they say and aren't afraid to hold onto it when the find it.

Blogger Rachel H. said...

That is great! It's always in your nature to want to protect a friend, but it sounds to me like she has found a perfect guy for her. And someone who is kind and nice to her friends. I can't imagine anything better than that. :)

Blogger Katie said...

Definitely good to know that guys like that still exist...

Blogger Dating at Forty said...

Any chance he has an older brother?

Blogger MereCat said...

the good ones are hard to find...but they ARE out there.

Blogger GreenCanary said...

Don't think that I didn't just consider checking out MF's blogroll to see if he has any single friends. I refrained, though. Because while I'm a bit desperate, I'm not crazy. Wait... reverse that. While I'm a bit crazy, I'm not desperate. There.

(Okay, that's a lie. I'm both crazy AND desperate, but am too lazy to e-stalk strangers on the Internets. And by the by, your line, "What with my hating the small talk and the human race and what not," made me fall in love with you a little bit.)

Blogger t2ed said...

This post got me all verklempt. That always happens to me when I read about hard soft pretzels.

By a keeper, you mean in a box under your bed, right?

Blogger TrappedInColorado said...

It's nice to know us fabulous men are still appreciated. There is one for you walking around the D.C. area right now. He could be turning the corner right now, just outside your office building. Don't worry... he'll be back. Peace.

Blogger Heather B. said...

I'm in search of a good one. So if you find him, let me know. Please and thank you.

Blogger Colleen said...

I think I found my "good one" this year, after 16 frustrating years. I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks. He passed the friend test, AND the family test!

Blogger Colleen said...

I think I found my "good one" this year, after 16 frustrating years. I'm crossing my fingers that it sticks. He passed the friend test, AND the family test!

Blogger Unknown said...

Since I fall into the "lack thereof" category, this is very good news indeed. Maybe one day in the future, about the same time when flux capacitors actually do exist, we'll be able to find out his dna and clone him.

Blogger John D. said...

I'd love to offer my thoughts on this great post, but not knowing me, my thoughts would carry no weight, I'm sure. Suffice it to say I love your thoughts on the matter. Good for them. : )

Blogger myself said...

Awww, if I wasn't such a jaded bitch these days, I'd say it gives me hope.

However, in all my years, I don't think I've ever been treated properly by a man.

How sad is that?

Pass that bottle please....

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer