August 27, 2007
number 2
You arrive 25 minutes early, the result of your obsession with being prompt for each and every engagement. If you’re being honest, a late entrance would also mean you’d have to walk toward him, revealing once and for all that your skirt does not look nearly as good in motion as it does perched atop a bar stool. You order a pre-emptive drink.

You powder your face with such alarming regularity that you’re quite sure your paleness rivals Ms. Kidman’s. More than once you hop to the bar for a napkin to expend nervous energy. You don’t yet smoke. You try to coax lip gloss from the bottom of its tiny bottle and you write.

You wait.

The clock you’ve checked every five minutes says he shows right on time. He stands close to your side. And when you lift your head, you know your face gives away that this week you’ve been biting your lower lip when you think about him. That yes, you await his emails and wish you could respond to his text messages, the ones he sends even though he knows your phone is broken and you won’t be able to respond. The ones he writes anyway, just to say hello. Because.

He leans in to you and whispers in your ear. He comments that you’re even cuter than he remembers, and you can’t believe that minutes ago you wanted to say the same thing to him. You break into the goofy type of smile that you regularly envy when it’s worn by others. And you’re reminded why, no matter how many times you swear it and every Air Supply song off for good, you choose to be in this wonderful place once again.

Labels:



32 Comments:

Blogger Heather B. said...

I wish you could see my face right now. I'm grinning like a big damn idiot.

Blogger Wicked H said...

grinning as well as doing the "Happy Dance!"

Blogger Janet said...

this post makes me want to give up my old, married lady status and go out on a date with a cute boy!

LOVED THIS.

I'm all smiley for you.

Yay.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does he have a brother?

Blogger Ripe for Reading said...

Great post; go you!

Blogger Sizzle said...
Blogger mysterygirl! said...

This is fantastic. I remember that feeling-- it doesn't get much better than that.

Blogger Beth said...

Does he have a brother in Vancouver?

Blogger Lizarita said...

God, that whole post gave me chills the whole time I was reading. It reminds me of how Justin used to make me feel when we started dating. And how he still makes me feel 3 years later.

Blogger Tracy Lynn said...
Blogger Jorge said...

Air Supply?

GOOD LORD!

This could be serious stuff!

Blogger EJ Takes Life said...

*Sigh.* I wish that feeling could be bottled for use in the off season.

Blogger Crystal said...

I'm all outta love! I'm so lost without you! I knew you were right! Believing for so long! I'm all outta love! What am I without you! It can't be too late to say that I was so wroooonnnnng!!!

I miss you, Humpy.

Blogger Melissa Boo said...

I'm so green right now.

Blogger Kim said...

Invested.

So invested.

Blogger Kelly said...

Lady friend, is it wrong that my head was ready for something entirely different when I read the title?

Number two. Um. I'm gross.

You write exactly what we've all felt. You and this is loverly.

Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Ah lurv....

You suck. In a good way. Like in a snarky jealous way. Which means I love you more than my favorite pair of Prada kitten heel boots.

Have fun, Ms. Sassypants!

Blogger Paperback Writer said...

I remember doing that same thing when Loki and I first started dating...

Blogger secretmom said...

Can't wait for another update!

Blogger Phain said...

*squeeeee*

Blogger Leah said...

ooooh exciting! love the butterflies in the stomach that come along with the first few dates!

Blogger Peter said...

Awww. That is a lovely little piece.

Blogger ramblin' girl said...

excellent!

Blogger Miguelita said...

I'm with Janet - bring on the cute boys!

Yea!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely written! I crave that type of smile!

Happy for you!

Blogger The Middle Child said...

I loved this! Great post!

Blogger playfulinnc said...

How delicious.

Blogger ps said...

i heart dating. xoxo

Blogger Mia said...

Just once more... It's been a long, long time, but just one more time in my life I hope to have that exact same goofy smile... Some day.

God bless ya girl.

I am grinning like an idiot too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm why does this sound SO much like me. every time i read your blog i feel like i'm slipping through the space- time continuum and this parallels my life somehow.

i'm smiling for both of us. ^_^

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer