August 20, 2007
jinx
The day before I found the clementine-sized tumor on Bug’s side, I sent an email to his first mom letting him know just how well he was doing. It occurred to me that I might be jinxing his welfare, but Bug had been a healthy cat for many a year, and an innocuous electronic missive wouldn’t change that, now would it? It probably didn’t, but being that I’d like to keep my two legs, I’m a little more wary about putting good news out there. See, I fear that my happiness makes the Universe just a tiny bit disagreeable. It never fails upon trumpets signaling good news that, in an ironic Pay it Forward moment, the big U hurls something big and unpleasant my way in the form of stomach flu or stupid boy move. It’s why I haven’t written about my father’s illness in many moons, why you don’t hear about any of my true successes, and why I haven’t celebrated that my car hasn’t been broken into in a least three days.

So I will write very little about the Date. Suffice it to say that, at 33, there are still men out there who can challenge a woman proud of her wit and who can hold a conversation about both Def Leppard and the AFI. Because such things are important to this girl. As is the kissing. And oh, yes. Apparently there are still men left who didn't skip that day of training.

I’m closing things there. I promise to keep you posted. But right now, I’m a little worried that might be the Universe on Line 1.

Labels:



20 Comments:

Blogger amyella said...

"Suffice it to say that, at 33, there are still men out there who can challenge a woman proud of her wit and who can hold a conversation about both Def Leppard and the AFI."

There are? Really? Thank god. Thank. Fucking. god.

Blogger mysterygirl! said...

Maybe I can reverse jinx it by saying something really negative? No?

Whatever comes of it, I'm glad you had a really fun night. You certainly deserve a whole slew of them.

Blogger Sizzle said...

Please oh please let him not have the kind of weirdness that comes out on date 5 and you realize he's a total spaz but not in an endearing way.

Not that that didn't just happen to me or anything.. . .

Fingers crossed for you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm paranoid about jinxing myself too. I think I'm probably a little extreme about it. I'm afraid to say, "I'm happy."

On that note, the comment just before mine says "fingers crossed," and it's a superstition of mine to NEVER cross my fingers. Like, if I really hope for something it just won't happen. Weird, huh?

Blogger whoorl said...

What an asshole.

(Just trying to throw the universe off.)

Blogger *kb* said...

Ok, I won't say anything about "HIM", BUT I LOVE AFI!! :-D

Thanks for giving this single gal some hope on future boys!!

Blogger sue said...

Here's hoping the gods of jinx miss ya...

Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

I am sitting at an internet cafe in Quito Ecuador and all I can say is if I can have not one but two locals ask to marry me, well, sweetie, it doesn´t come as a surprise that you have met a boy who doesn´t think kissing is also the act of tonsilectomy. Jinx shminx - have fun and then dribble all of the details across the internet for all the world (cough, me - screw everyone else) to see. Now excuse me while I get back to landing a local.

Blogger Amie Adams said...

Okay, how much do we hate show-off Paige and her all "I'm in Quito."? Bitch!

Love ya Paige!!

As for you? Good kissing? Don't you understand I need to live vicariously through you?!!! I need details!

Blogger playfulinnc said...

You're a i-tease.

Blogger Wicked H said...

It's okay. We all have healthy imaginations.

It's all good, just be happy.

Blogger Jorge said...

Baby J told me to tell you to send the big U her way. She's got a right, a left and a kick to the groin for that smarmy bastard.

Blogger JordanBaker said...

Hm. . .where are these men?

Blogger Skyzi said...

You'll be fine because recently the Universe has been slamming me down enough for everyone I come into contact with. Seriously, friends, family, new jobs, new love, etc. I got you covered.....look, my nose is even starting to run, itchy eyes. Damn, that must have been a good date!

Blogger Miguelita said...

Then I will do my part and not jinx it by not saying, "Fabulous and so well deserved and high time you found a good one and I cant wait to hear more. And the kissing part, yea!"

I didn't just say that.

Blogger Melina said...

I can't wait for the Universe to get off Line 1, so we can hear more. I'm glad that the date went well, here's to at (the very) least a few more with the same boy!

Blogger Jen said...

Def Leppard, the AFI and a good kisser? Sheesh. Sounds like a keeper ;)

Blogger Angie T said...

And by "kissing" you mean. . .

Blogger TheyDHD said...

Preaching to the choir! I don't even know why i say positive things anymore... Mine's more on the 'if I get comfortable and start to relax" scale though.

Yay for you!

Blogger Bridget Jones said...

Congrats--that gives me hope...

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer